If you’re planning to install a fence on your property, it’s important to be aware of the potential for scams. Fence scammers are all too common in many areas and can leave you with subpar results or out-of-pocket costs if you don’t take the right precautions, so be alert of certain fence companies. To help protect yourself from shady fencing contractors and their tactics, here is an overview of what to look for when selecting a fence company – as well as how to spot and avoid any possible scams that may come up during the installation process.
Don't Fall for These Common Fence Scam Tactics
When it comes to hiring a fence company, it’s important to be aware of the common tactics used by scammers. Unfortunately, scams can happen in the American fence business, and unsuspecting homeowners can fall for them. Here are some things to watch out for when hiring an American fence company:
- Door-to-Door Sales: Legitimate American fence companies typically don’t solicit business door-to-door. If a salesperson shows up unannounced, be wary.
- High-Pressure Sales Tactics: American fence scammers often use pressure tactics to get homeowners to make a quick decision. They may claim that the deal is only available for a limited time or that the price will go up if you don’t act fast.
- Requesting Full Payment Upfront: Reputable American fence companies will typically ask for a deposit, but they won’t require full payment upfront. If a company insists on being paid in full before any work is done, it’s a red flag.
- No Contract or Written Estimate: Always insist on a written contract or estimate from an American fence company. If a company can’t provide one, it’s likely a scam.
- Unlicensed or Uninsured: All American fence companies should be licensed and insured. If a company can’t provide proof of both, don’t do business with them.
- Using Low-Quality Materials: American fence scammers often use low-quality materials to cut costs. Be sure to ask about the materials that will be used and do your own research to ensure they are of good quality.
- Offering Unusually Low Prices: While it may be tempting to go with the lowest bid, be aware that American fence scammers often offer prices that are too good to be true. A low bid may indicate that the company is cutting corners or using subpar materials.
- Not giving references or reviews: American fence companies should be able to give references or reviews from customers they have worked with in the past. If a company can’t provide them, it’s a red flag.
The Importance of Researching a Fence Company Before Hiring Work Quality
The Costs of Hiring a Scam Fence Company
- Poor quality fence installation: Scam fence companies may use low-quality materials, like low-grade wood, and may not have the skills or experience to install a fence correctly. This can result in a fence that is prone to damage and may not last as long as it should.
- Financial Loss: Scam fence companies may charge exorbitant prices or request full payment upfront before any work is done. This can result in homeowners paying more than they should for a poor-quality fence installation.
- Lack of Satisfaction: When a fence installation doesn’t meet expectations or is not done properly, homeowners may not be satisfied with the finished product. This can lead to disappointment and frustration, and may require additional expenses to fix the problems.
- No Guarantee or Warranty: Many legitimate fence contractors will offer a satisfaction rating and guarantee on their work. Scam fence companies may not provide any guarantees or warranties, leaving homeowners with no recourse if something goes wrong with the fence installation.
- No free estimate: A good fence contractor will provide a free estimate to homeowners, but a scam company may ask for payment upfront before providing any estimate.
- No superior fence: Scam fence companies may promise a superior fence but deliver a substandard one. This can cause disappointment and frustration for homeowners who were expecting a higher-quality fence.
- No star reviews: Scam fence companies may not have any star reviews or testimonials from previous customers, making it difficult for homeowners to research the company and make an informed decision.
How to inspect a fence installation job once it's completed
Once the fence has been installed, it’s important for homeowners to inspect the work that was done. Check for any signs of damage or substandard materials, and make sure that all posts and boards are properly secured. Inspect for any missing panels or loose posts, as well as any gaps between boards. Make sure there are no visible nails and that all screws are firmly held in place. Additionally, check for any signs of rot or decay, and make sure the fence is securely mounted to the ground. Finally, inspect for any visible rust, as this may indicate poor quality materials were used. If you notice anything that looks out of place or unsatisfactory upon inspection, contact your contractor immediately, as they may need to make repairs.
You can make sure your fence is safe and secure by doing your research and taking the time to check how it was put up. This will help protect your property and give you peace of mind. Following these steps will also help ensure that you don’t become a victim of a scam fence company.
If you are looking for a new fence for your home or business around Clarksville TN, contact TM Exterior Solutions today. We are highly experienced and specialize in fencing of all types, including vinyl, chain link, aluminum, wood and more. Our team is committed to providing the highest quality products and services at competitive prices. Get your free estimate today!
People also ask
The best materials for fencing depend on the type of fence you want and what purpose it will serve. Common materials include wood, aluminum, chain-link, vinyl, wrought iron, and composite.
The cost of a fence installation depends on the size and type of fence, as well as the labor costs associated with the installation.
It’s important to do your research when looking for a fence contractor. Ask for references from previous customers and look for online reviews or testimonials to get an idea of the company’s quality of work. Additionally, make sure the company is licensed, bonded, and insured.